Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SPS Blog #1


I wrote my first blog on portable power generators because when I saw the title of the article, I realized I never gave much thought to supplying power to performances on the road.  When the article described the inner workings of a portable generator I pictured it in my head as a small-scale version of a windmill with the rotation of the rotor inside the windings of the generator creating the electricity needed.  Now it sounds like a generator is easy to get ahold of, but what’s more is that the generator not only needs to be quiet enough not to disturb the performance, but also need to provide a stable flow of electricity.  Both of these points were not immediately evident to me, but are very crucial when it comes to planning these events.  If the generator caused dips or spikes in the power supply I’m sure it would cause massive damage to all equipment connected to it.
In order to power large concerts I’m sure there is a huge power requirement.  The article says that generators measure their voltage in kVA, which stands for kilovolt-Amperes.  Luckily, the article also provides a link to www.onlineconversion.com for easy calculations on power requirements as well as converting units to whatever you may need.
There is a governor on the generator to monitor power output and in addition, circuit breakers are also built in so that they can immediately shut off in case of a spike.  To put it in perspective, construction type generators can fluctuate by as much as 25%, which already seems like quite a bit.  However, performance type generators need to narrow that down to about 1.5% to be usable.
            Craig Leerman, who wrote the article, gives a few tips at the end to provide ease of use of portable production generators.  The most important one I noticed was probably to install a ground rod or tie in to the generator.  In terms of both personal safety and for the good of the gear, ground lines would be at the top of my checklist for operating one of these.  Also, just like a car engine, generators require fuel, water, and oil to continue running smoothly.   Therefore it is important to monitor and check these levels regularly as a shortage of any one of those would stop the concert and could possibly damage the generator.  Even worse would be if it happened mid-show.

No comments:

Post a Comment